In Memory of our dear friend Nell Baugh
November 3, 1925 - December 25, 2013
Nell was a great friend and leader in the MWTC for nearly 40 years.
In order to actively promote the continued development of the international business and transportation community in Memphis, the Memphis World Trade Club works closely with area schools to provide the Nell Baugh International Scholarship Award to individuals actively enrolled in school in a related field of study.
Established in 2000, this scholarship covers a portion of a student’s annual tuition (for a one year period). Funds for the scholarship are raised throughout the year at monthly meetings and through the annual golf tournament. The scholarship is promoted through the club’s social media, emails and at monthly meetings.
Nell Baugh Scholarship Criteria:
· Available to individuals actively enrolled in an international business / transportation field of study at an area school.
·Annual scholarship amount: $2,500
·Submission of 1,000 word essay (on a topic to be determined yearly) and resume.
· Application Period: September 1st to October 31st each year. Qualified candidates will be selected for interviews in November and announcement of recipient will be in December.
·A scholarship recipient can receive this award for a maximum of two years
· The recipient must be a U.S. Citizen. Out-of-state students are eligible.
·The applicant must be in good standing at the school where they are currently enrolled.
·A student membership will be granted to the recipient for the following calendar year.
Members’ children and grandchildren are eligible to apply for the Nell Baugh International Scholarship as long as they meet all criteria with the exception of attending an “area school”.
To apply for the scholarship, please send essay and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
|2018 Scholarship Recipients
1. John Zacher. We would like to congratulate John Zacher, our first two time (2017 and 2018) recipient, of the Nell Baugh International Scholarship. John has stayed in touch with the club and members and attended several meetings since he was awarded last year. He anticipates graduating in December of 2019 and is still deciding whether he will go to graduate school or enter the work force. John has been interning at SSR,Inc. where he works 20 hours per week since May and beginning in the Fall of 2019 he will work with the T-STEM program students at East High School on the diesel program that is just beginning.
2. Patrick Demere is a Supply Chain / International Business Management major at the University of Tennessee with an expected graduation date of May of 2019. Patrick will be looking for a job in the transportation/logistics field after graduation. Each summer since the beginning of college he has interned at company located in Memphis in the field, such as Dunavant Logistics and FedEx Trade Networks. He has also attended MWTC meetings during the summer when he is in the area.
A big congratulations to John and Patrick!
We would also like to include a very big thank you to Tom and Frances Gutt who have given special donations to the scholarship fund. Tom and Frances’ support has allowed us to provide two scholarships for the past several years. Tom and Frances are long-time supporters of the Memphis World Trade Club, which makes their donations even more special.